About Us Britain - Nepal Academic Council
Latest NewsLiana Chase and Ivan Deschenaux awarded BNAC PhD Dissertation Prize 2020
London 10 April 2020 The Britain Nepal Academic Council (BNAC)’s 20th Anniversary PhD Dissertation...Read More
Recent News & Updates
Join our free email list about BNAC events and activities.JOIN NOW
Britain-Nepal Academic Council
The Britain–Nepal Academic Council was established on 23 May 2000 at a large meeting at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London of British academics and researchers interested in various aspects of Nepal. The objective of the Council is to promote academic and scholarly links between Britain and Nepal through, inter alia, collaborative research, exchange programmes and organisation of annual lectures, and seminars on areas of mutual interest to both British and Nepali academics and researchers. Prof. Surya Subedi, who was the founding chairperson of the Council, served in this capacity for ten years before handing over responsibilities to Prof. Michael Hutt in 2009. Prof. David Gellner took the position on 25 April 2014, followed by Dr Krishna Adhikari, (the Immediate Past Chairperson) who took the position on 18 April 2018. Current, and, thus the fifth, Chairperson, Dr Sara Parker started her role on 14 April 2022.
The current Executive Officers are:
- Dr Sara Parker (Liverpool John Moores University), Chairperson
- Dr Jeevan Sharma (University of Edinburgh) General Secretary
- Dr Fraser Sugden (University of Birmingham), Treasurer
Other members of the executive committee are:
- Dr Krishna Adhikari (CNSUK/University of Oxford), (Immediate Past Chairperson)
- Professor David Gellner (University of Oxford)
- Professor Michael Hutt (SOAS, University of London)
- Dr Ben Campbell (Durham University)
- Dr Stefanie Lotter (SOAS, University of London)
- Dr Tejendra Pherali (University College London)
- Professor Padam Simkhada (University of Huddersfield)
- Ms. Sapana Bista (Liverpool John Moores University)
- Dr Kumud Rana (University of Glasgow)
- Dr Sushma Basnet (Centre for Nepal Studies UK) (volunteer membership secretary)
- Dr Heidi Riley (Kings College London/ University College Dublin)
- Dr Uma Pradhan (University College London)
Click here to see list of general members of BNAC.
- Dr Punam Yadav (University College of London) (General Secretary 2018-22)
On these pages you will find details of past and forthcoming events sponsored and organised by the BNAC, a membership form, and some means of contacting us. We hope you will find these useful, and we look forward to meeting you at one of our future events. If you have any kind of research or teaching interest in Nepal, please do join us.
For details, click here to download BNAC brochure.